Caring Unlimited

Legal Assistance and Court Advocacy

Caring Unlimited's Court Advocates are available to answer questions and provide assistance to victims of domestic violence regarding Protection From Abuse orders, divorce cases and other family matters.

Each year approximately 800 individuals receive critical assistance from the Caring Unlimited Legal Services on various legal issues as they work to become safe from domestic abuse.

Protection From Abuse (PFA)

You may choose to get a Protection From Abuse order as part of your safety plan.  A PFA is the fastest form of legal help. Caring Unlimited Court Advocates can help you understand this process, and complete the necessary paperwork.

A PFA is an official legal notice requiring the abuser to stop the violence and abuse. Relief available under a PFA can be tailored to your specific needs and to address your concerns. It can order the abuser: to stay away from you, to stop having any contact with you by phone, mail, email, fax, or through third parties, to move out of your home, to give you exclusive use of a vehicle, and/or it can prevent the abuser from possessing a firearm. The court may award temporary custody of children to you, along with child support, spousal support and the continuation of insurance coverage. The police can arrest the abuser for violating the order.

Divorce and/or Custody

In Maine you can file for divorce without an attorney, and can represent yourself in your divorce case, as well as in Parental Rights and Responsibilities (custody) cases. Caring Unlimited Court Advocates are available to answer your questions, and help you access and prepare the necessary paperwork for divorce and/or custody issues. Limited legal representation from an attorney knowledgeable about domestic abuse may also be available to you through Caring Unlimited.

More information about Protection Orders