A Call to Men
We are certain of one thing: Caring Unlimited can continue to help victims by the thousands, we can provide them with the information, support and resources they need to escape abuse at home, but the abuse WON’T stop until abusers stop.
About A CALL TO MEN:
A CALL TO MEN is a leading national men's organization addressing men's violence against women.
A CALL TO MEN believes that preventing domestic and sexual violence is primarily the responsibility of men. Although historically it has been almost entirely women who have been at the forefront addressing this issue, we think it is essential that men play a primary role in the solution. To do that, well-meaning men…men who, for the most part don't see themselves as part of the problem…need to get involved.
TEN THINGS MEN CAN DO TO END MEN'S VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
- Acknowledge and understand how sexism, male dominance and male privilege lay the foundation for all forms of violence against women.
- Examine and challenge our individual sexism and the role that we play in supporting men who are abusive.
- Recognize and stop colluding with other men by getting out of our socially defined roles, and take a stance to end violence against women.
- Remember that our silence is affirming. When we choose not to speak out against men’s violence, we are supporting it.
- Educate and re-educate our sons and other young men about our responsibility in ending men’s violence against women.
- "Break out of the man box"- Challenge traditional images of manhood that stop us from actively taking a stand to end violence against women.
- Accept and own our responsibility that violence against women will not end until men become part of the solution to end it. We must take an active role in creating a cultural and social shift that no longer tolerates violence against women.
- Stop supporting the notion that men’s violence against women is due to mental illness, lack of anger management skills, chemical dependency, stress, etc… Violence against women is rooted in the historic oppression of women and the outgrowth of the socialization of men.
- Take responsibility for creating appropriate and effective ways to develop systems to educate and hold men accountable.
- Create systems of accountability to women in your community. Violence against women will end only when we take direction from those who understand it most, women.
Copyright © 2004, ACT Men Inc. All rights
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT A CALL TO MEN: